Sunday, October 16, 2011

How I got Rage to work on my AMD/ATI Radeon 6870

The Rage release sucked for a lot of gamers. Here are my system specs and how I got the game to run.

  • Intel Core2Duo 2.93GHz E7500
  • Sapphire Radeon HD 6870
  • 4GB RAM

  • Get the 11.10 preview 2 drivers for Radeon cards. By itself this patch made the game completely unplayable for me. It worked better with the 11.9 drivers.
  • Get the latest game patch
  • Catalyst Control Settings:
    • Check "Use application settings" for everything
    • Catalyst AI: Set bar to middle (quality) and Enable Surface Format Optimize
    • Wait for V-Sync: Always On
    • Anti-Alias" Performace
    • OpenGL: Enable triple buffer
  • Add these command line args (In steam, right-click the game in the left pane -> Properties -> Set Launch Options): +set com_skipIntroVideo 1 +jobs_numThreads 0 +vt_maxPPF 8 +cvaradd g_fov 20 +set m_rawinput 1
  • This wasn't necessary, but may help performace: Create "rage" folder within an "id software" folder in your appdata folder (C:\Users\--your WINDOWS USER NAME--\AppData\Local\id software\rage)
I didn't have to use any config files to get this game running.

Although I can play the game at full settings, you may need to lower yours to get good framerates. Use the in-game video settings.

Best ok luck

No comments:

Post a Comment